|My mate hard at work. I’d say I was too but it’s a little obvious what I’m doing at this point.|
I love my job.
I didn’t realize how much I love my job until today. You know whose job I’d hate? Pretty much any tradie’s.
Today I put in eleven hours on my balcony with a mate prepping it for re-staining tomorrow. Here are several ways in which prepping my balcony differs from my day job:
- I got straight out of bed when my mate showed up and got straight to work. I didn’t shave or anything. In fact it was 3pm before I realized I was still in my pj’s.
- My mate showed up at 7am, so I started work nearly 2 hours early.
- There was no airconditioning, meaning the temperature varied from a comfortable 26 degrees. What sort of fresh anarchy is this? It was very off-putting and earthy. As a result I think I sweated.
- I hardly talked all day because there were no customers to banter with, and anyway the pressure cleaners were too loud to talk over.
- When my legs got tired I couldn’t pull up a chair.
- I did the same monotonous thing over and over for hours on end, and when that ended I did some other monotonous thing over and over for hours on end.
- Instead of eating something and then reading a book for half an hour, at lunch we ate and then got straight back to work. I’m now a chapter behind. This bugged me all afternoon.
- After eight hours of work, I didn’t stop, pack everything up and go home – I was home and kept working until the job was done.
- I got wet. I may chaf.
- I didn’t get paid (neither did my mate, so he probably has more to whinge about on this score)
- There was no telly in the foyer for me to watch.
- Coffee was almost entirely absent from my day, except for the two cups I had first thing this morning and the one my mum showed up with to spur me on. Almost a totally coffee free day!
- I wasn’t working with women – I like working with women because they rarely discuss sport, which bores me to tears, and often discuss their sex lives, which I find far more interesting.
- Tracey let me play with my hammer.