1/3 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon butter
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Help dad grab out all the ingredients. Drop milk. Clean up. Put finger in butter. Lick.
2. Beat butter and sugar to a cream. Taste. Add vanilla. Taste. Beat some more. Taste again.
3. Add the egg and beat well, pausing to taste every two seconds or so.
4. Alternatively add sifted salt & flour and the milk. Say, “I just better taste a little bit again” and dig your finger in. Screw up face when finger delivers mouthful of flour to lips. Beat some more until flour is mixed in with wet mixture. Taste. Taste some more. When dad takes over the beating because you’ve essentially stopped and are just making a meal of it use both hands to maximize tasting.
5. Pour what is left of the mixture into a greased tin and commandeer bowl, beaters and spatula for intense licking.
8. Tell all and sundry you’re very clever and have made a cake. Don’t forget to have a taste of the cake.